Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cake and Pie

I had a conversation about a year ago with a friend....let's call him Daven....about having your cake and eating it too. He is firmly against the idea of this being a posibility. He believes that this is a perfect truth because there is no way you can possibly hope to have a cake, and eat it.
I tried to argue with him about this. I tried several theories with him. I tried the "what if you only ate part of the cake" theory. He didn't buy that. He said that then you wouldn't really HAVE the cake, and it would detract from the beauty of it. I then tried the "what if you had two cakes and ate one and looked at the other" theory. He disagreed and said that then you wouldn't have the same cake that you loved so it's not the same thing. You can't have THAT cake that you just ate.
Finally, I told him that I didn't really like cake.....and that I'd rather have pie.
Right now....that's what I have. I have pie. I love pie. I like pie a lot better than I like cake, in fact. It's invigorating. It's delicious. It's flavorful. It's comfortable. It's complex. But....that doesn't solve the problem of me wanting cake in my life.....and cake or pie....I still can't have it both ways.

...........


....my mom makes this pie....it has a cake mix for the crust. It is amazing. That is what I want. I want my cake. I want my pie. And I want to fully consume them both.

4 comments:

MoonyMoMo said...

good. What's the point of having something when you can't enjoy it's purpose.

Heather said...

Hmmm.....actually.....that's a REALLY good point....I'm going to have to explore that thought a bit...

Clarissa said...

What I want to know is what's so freakin great about having a cake. Who cares if you can have your cake and eat it too? Most people just want to eat it.

Heather said...

But....once you eat it, it's gone! And then what are you left with?

...now what am I left with?